abstracters anonymous04.03.2013

abstract photography
abstract photography
abstract photography
abstract photography
abstract photography
abstract photography

I never wanted to be a journalist and I always had trouble writing school papers, essays, etc. Yet, here I am, writing a blog for over two years now. Visual is my thing – I choose to express my feelings, thoughts and ideas through photography & visual art, not words. Yet somehow I always seem to write at least 300 word long posts. If I don’t, they feel kind of empty. Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads what I write below those “Cool photos! x” and “Great outfit!” shots.

But no matter what, I continue to write, as if I was keeping a diary. I always feel compelled to put everything in a setting that I see in my minds eye, to fulfill the concept I have in my head, to translate my feelings and emotions for those who don’t see those images the way I see them. I sometimes feel the need to explain to the viewer why the fuck he, or she, is looking at a black and white photo of a branch, in which rule of thirds has been totally disregarded. And why should you look at it anyway? As much as I try to bring you closer to my perspective, people can never see the same. Art  sometimes cannot be explained. You just have to perceive it your own way and look for a message that’s meaningful to you. Also remember, you don’t even have to understand it in order to be moved by it.

For today’s post, I have selected a few photos I’ve shot a while ago but never published. They are very much abstract and offer a lot of thinking space. I am not going to tell you what the objects caught on these photos are. In fact, I was thinking you could tell me. What do you see? Do you know what’s in the photos? Even better, how would you describe the feeling you get from them?

20 THOUGHTS ON "abstracters anonymous"

Shug Avery 04.03.2013 - 4:13 AM

Actually, eventhough I don’t comment much your blog I like reading what you write. It is difficult for me “reading” at blogs who only posts pictures. My background is a literary one but I am attracted to everything visual, I feel the need to put words on pictures. I am trying myself photography but for now it seems I am better at expressing my emotions about the pictures I see.

The 3 first pictures are almost blinding my eyes. But it is not disturbing, I feel like there is something pure because of this factor. The more I scroll, the darker are your pictures. Did you place them like that intentionally ?
I can’t tell what is represented on each picture and I am not interested in knowing it, actually for me it’s more about the emotions they are giving because they are moody pictures.

I’m also interested in photography if you ever have time take a look to my “Shoot That Thursday” section on my blog or visit my Tumblr dedicated to photography http://www.shootthatshug.com

Shug Avery of Incognito

amanda 04.03.2013 - 5:17 AM

you definitely don’t have to undersand something to be moved by it, i love that.

Isabelle 04.03.2013 - 11:14 AM

I have always hated this view of art that say that you have to know the background of the artist, or to read very carefully the little square that explain the piece of art. Sometimes it’s really interesting, but most of the time i prefer to be in front of a painting and just feel what it makes me feel without knowing anything about it! But well it’s pretty personnal so i’m not gonna try to tell you about your photos ;) just that i love them!

Sofie 04.03.2013 - 2:44 PM

Great photography!

x

haha, no joking! I like the fact you write long stories underneath every post and it’s defenitely worth reading them. Although I am also on the “team visual”, I love to read your perspective on the story/outfit/photos. That makes them even more valuable. Oh and about the comment above, I really do love the photography, keep staring at them seeing different things every time.
xx

the style crusader 04.03.2013 - 3:41 PM

Hah. I’m totally with you. Sometimes I wonder if anyone reads what I wrote on my blog too.

I love the photos you’ve posted. Some of them look like bacteria under a microscope. xx

ODYSSEY 04.03.2013 - 6:14 PM

As a visual artist, I completely agree: We don’t have to understand or know “what it is” to be moved.
With abstract photography, I’d just as soon not know what the thing is being photographed.

Pardon My Fashion 04.03.2013 - 6:28 PM

1. A bubble floating in the sky
2. A freshly made bed
3. A rose blowing in the wind
4. Pills…what for, I wonder.
5. Intrigue…
6. Cars passing on the highway

xoxo Britt

Lisette Rivera 04.03.2013 - 7:25 PM

I agree with this post. I am also a visual person but for some reason I still keep up a writing blog? Your photos are very nice, especially the third one. Abstract photos are probably some of my favorite kind of photos. Loved this post!

Caroline Topperman 05.03.2013 - 12:54 AM

keep writing!!! I’m like you where I was never very good at writing essays, journalism not my thing. Creative writing is a whole different story though. Here anything goes. You can make up words and have some leeway with punctuation. With words you create images. This is precisely why I got into screenwriting…. In my opinion this is how you write as well!!!!
xo
girlintheyellowdress.com

s 05.03.2013 - 3:29 AM

wow amazing bokeh and love these images! xO!

Leeloo 05.03.2013 - 2:45 PM

Ja čitam… i uživam :)!

Na slikama ne znam što je, ali mi imaju dreamy vibru i totalno sam u zadnje vrijeme poludila za takvim slikama pa razmišljam da i sama napravim sličan post kad budem imala par dovoljno dobrih. Inspirativna si na više razina!

Mona 05.03.2013 - 8:29 PM

This is a completely different interpretation (but that’s the beauty of interpretation, right?); these images evoke feelings of claustrophobia and confusion in me. This possibly stems from frequent nightmares I have in which I cannot see clearly, which again stems from my poor eyesight!

I love reading content along with pictures. It gives one a clearer feel for the identity of the author!

Sonja Lazukic 05.03.2013 - 9:10 PM

Uvek rado citam i uzivam u tvojim postovima. Svi smo valjda krenuli da vodimo blogove da bi slikali ili pisali o onome sto se nama licno svidja i da bi predstavili neki nas svet.
Iskreno, meni je “tvoj svet” divan. Iako ga mozda ne vidim na isti nacin na koji i ti…valjda je u tome i lepota.
Slike su fenomenalne. Zaista.

The GUILTY HYENA 06.03.2013 - 4:23 PM

Soothing transcendent photos, ditto visual is my thing too, alot of the time I find writing a chore, but maybe because I’m lazy and have poor timekeeping.

Enjoyed how you surmised your feelings in this post.

Anne 07.03.2013 - 9:58 AM

some people look at your pictures,some read, some do both!
Whatever it is: Keep Posting!

I like your blog

amalie 07.03.2013 - 3:41 PM

great post! i agree with your statement: you don’t even have to understand it in order to be moved by it. In art it’s all in the eye of the beholder. And i noticed, when walking the through the tate gallery last week, that even though picasso, or roy lichenstein create non-understandable paintings, It triggers thoughts and feelings in your brain. Whether its frustration, pain, or happiness..
heh, I got a little bit excited. Love how visual art can make you feel so much even though you don’t understand. xx

Mitha Komala 07.03.2013 - 8:15 PM

i know right, i never dreamed to be a fashion journalist and blogger before. but somehow it changed my life and i want to keep doing it :) xx

Letters To Juliet

Laura L. 08.03.2013 - 4:08 PM

wise words, wise words :)
I like the way you are writing and of course I really like the photos!

Love, L.

moiminnie 09.03.2013 - 1:15 AM

Thanks everyone that commented and left wonderful thoughts and compliments! I appreciate that you took the time to read my thoughts and I’m so glad you enjoyed them. <3

Swati Ailawadi 09.03.2013 - 2:08 PM

Well you are right about how you need to express things in words sometimes only so the viewer could come a little closer to your perspective. I was drawn to these images for the sole reason of them being abstract. And even though I can’t exactly guess what the things were, I could sure tell the feelings.

1. Serene… like the sun became soft instead of harsh.
2. hidden… since I feel it is a cover and I can sense something behind it
3. Movement…. this picture is quite dynamic
4. No where close to putting feeling in words for this one
5. Protected and trying to hold on to something
6. Lights… the same feeling I get when I look at the moving traffic at night only its blue here and feels cold and enigmatic.

Swati @ The Creative Bent

P.S. seeing the detailed response you got for this post, I believe you got an answer when you wondered if anyone ever read the words :)