how to be yourself11.06.2013

moiminnie, milica obradovic, silver hair, how to be yourself
moiminnie, milica obradovic, silver hair, how to be yourself
moiminnie, milica obradovic, silver hair, how to be yourself

Check me out, just casually being myself in the photos above.

You know that corny ass cliche everyone uses every time when they feel deep and try to give advice to a lost soul? I bet you do. Every pep talk in the history of pep talks pretty much ends with “Just be yourself!” Whatever the fuck that’s supposed to mean. I can’t really tell if people who advise that truly know the meaning of it or just trying to make their words seem profound without any actual meaning behind them. Now I am not writing this to actually tell you what the exact phrase translates into, but rather to inspire you to stop and think for a while about the subject. I’ve always been an agnostic. I doubt everything (in terms of thinking for myself before I actually do or say something) and I don’t take things for granted (at least I try not to). Questions like “Why?” or “How?” always tickle my imagination a bit too much to just let it all pass by me without even thinking about it. That’s how I get caught up in thinking about this kind of everyday stuff. This topic specially caught my attention since it’s something I’ve been hearing on daily basis lately. From Facebook statuses to Twitter updates to Tumblr inspirational quotes to celebrities to random people around you, somehow this lil’ sentence finds a way to pop up right in my face. And frankly, I’m getting kind of fed up with it.

Preparing to write this article, I made popcorn, logged on Tumblr and was legitimately crying after ten minutes of scrolling through those dumb hipster shit image quotes did an extent search on the said subject. I googled it. By the time I hit page 3 of search results, I was determined to have my say about the whole “Be You” thing.
At the same time, there really isn’t much to say. When it comes to these “self-help” articles, they’re usually written down in the format of a list or (even worse) steps you have to take in order to be yourself. Excuse me while I laugh, but I don’t believe there is a well-thought out plan you can follow and miraculously “be yourself”. To be honest, how can a person even know if they’re being themselves or not? For example, let’s say you’re confused and don’t feel yourself. You type “how to be yourself” in the search bar, find the steps you need to take and you’re done! The only problem is, there are million other people reading the exact same article at the exact same time, following the exact same steps and becoming, well, exactly like you. Do you feel more like yourself knowing there are million people that are the same way as you? My point exactly.

If you’re new to my blog and this is the first post you read, you might be wondering what the heck is this. Have you stumbled upon a fashion blog or Erich Fromm’s personal diary? If you’re here for style and fashion – the principle can be applied to that too. The key to everything in life is thinking with our own brains. I’m sure we all have one, we just have to learn to use it the right way. To think out of the box, if you will. Be influenced, but at the end of the day – make your own decision. Be inspired, but process it through your own prism. Be a part of a specific group, movement, have specific style – but take it up a notch, spice it up with a pinch of your own personality. Don’t be afraid to find your own answers and speak up when you do. Don’t smother your inner being just so your outer one could fit into the place you think you belong to. Most importantly, don’t sweat it if you don’t know how to be yourself or if you don’t feel like yourself anymore. Instead, take your time and let it all rest. It’ll come to you when the time is right.

If nothing written above makes sense to you and you want some concrete answers, without having to think about it – Google is your best friend. I, unfortunately, am not.

Off-topic: Interested in learning how I dye my hair? Check out my hair bleaching tutorial!

21 THOUGHTS ON "how to be yourself"

Emily Ulrich 11.06.2013 - 7:05 PM

There’s nothing wrong with being influenced by others, as long as–like you wrote–you shape their influence in a way unique to you.

Djaphexbeen 11.06.2013 - 9:06 PM

I doubt everything too ! And that wasn’t good for me so far…

But, well said Milice.

lusi s 11.06.2013 - 9:57 PM

Isn’t everybody himself already? You can’t be anyone else, practically. But that’s questionable. I loved your post and I feel you with your attitude towards inspirationl hipster images, they’re so annoying!

Charlotte 11.06.2013 - 10:17 PM

Haha I completely agree with the ‘just be yourself’ crap people say and how to online lists. Couldn’t have said it better myself tbh, agree 100% lol x

SinsofBlack 11.06.2013 - 10:53 PM

Girl, I love U !

Anonymous 12.06.2013 - 10:09 AM

It’s a great post and you actually gave some good advices. You are somewhat beuatiful and being yourself.
What nail polish you are using, because it’s so hard for me to find the right white polish?

Tinasylvia 12.06.2013 - 1:36 PM

This was a great read :) I was actually going to post something along those lines on my blog as i recently haven’t been feeling ‘me’. I suppose you can’t really teach others to ‘be yourself’ (hate the cliche too!). I think the moment you don’t feel yourself it’s time to make changes and that’s what people need to realise, rather than reading supposed easy-peasey be yourself lists on Wikihow!

Peet 12.06.2013 - 3:03 PM

Oh come on, “just be yourself” is such a valid advice!!:D Not. Why? Because most often people lack substance so being oneself is impossible, instead you have mini replicas of everything people see and think it’s cool walking around – like you said, there’s a HUGE difference between inspiration + being yourself and copying + trying to be yourself. In my opinion.:)

VertigoKris 12.06.2013 - 5:28 PM

Hehe dopada mi se poslednja recenica ;) one slike po tumblr-u i netu kada su inace neki citati bilo kog tipa su besmislene… Super tekst!

Karina De Jesus 12.06.2013 - 7:57 PM

I like the part where you said that some people don’t even know what themselves is. This may sound super cliche, but it take time to get to know yourself. I feel, as long as we’re learning and growing, we’ll be ok. And at the end of the day, like you said, sometimes it’s just good to put something we’re chasing (in this situation – self-perception) to rest, and it will dawn on you at one point or another. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Isidora 12.06.2013 - 9:02 PM

Sweeet! ;D
xx

Caroline Topperman 13.06.2013 - 6:38 AM

I love, love your pictures today! Your personality seems to shine right through!
xo
styleontheside.com

Anita Ju 13.06.2013 - 11:53 AM

Pardon My Fashion 13.06.2013 - 6:42 PM

LOVE this post! Reminds me of this quote I have always loved…and am constantly having to remind my self of…

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” Emerson

Leeloo 13.06.2013 - 9:37 PM

Odličan tekst si sročila (nije na odmet ni činjenica što ti je engleski tako fluentan i ugodan za čitati :)
Ja, što više vremena provedem na netu, budem dojma da je inspiracija postala svrha sama sebi, poanta je da svi trebamo beskonačno skrolati slike i na taj način se inspirirati što je poprilično apsurdno zapravo.
Trudim se nekako nalaziti nešto zanimljivo u svemu oko sebe, istraživati razne stilove, mijenjati se i upravo kako si ti naglasila – prilagođavati trendove onome što mi se i inače sviđa, a ne obrnuto…
Nakon ovog mini romana se odjavljujem :D

VIENNA WEDEKIND 14.06.2013 - 1:18 PM

oh how I love your thoughts! you’re my favourite E.Fromm blogger! ;)

Love, VIENNA WEDEKIND

Kri 14.06.2013 - 6:04 PM

Well said! You are just the prettiest! love your hair btw <3

Isabelle 15.06.2013 - 11:12 AM

In my experience, i became more myself when i’ve stopped thinking so much about it : less egocentric and more living life like it comes. Not easy to forget yourself but it’s so relaxing once you found the way to do it !

Anonymous 25.06.2013 - 2:31 PM

oprosti na smetnji, ali treba mi link od onog filma lost and delirious. vidjela sam na jednom od tvojih postova da si gledala taj film. i ja sam. i užasno mi se svidio. ali samo nekih sat vremena filma sam pronašla. da li znaš neki link sa cijelim filmom ? ♥ oprosti na smenji još jednom.

moiminnie 26.06.2013 - 4:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, I love the fact that you’re always up for a mini discussion in the comments, I appreciate that!

@anon: Odavno sam ga gledala i imala sam ga na kompjuteru, nazalost nemam link :(

Taffy Msipa 14.07.2013 - 12:40 AM

Your absolutely beautiful !

X