inside out16.06.2014

inside out project, fashion revolution, moiminnie, milica obradovic, minimal fashion

Raise your hand if you know exactly where and by whom the clothes you’re wearing are made. Anyone? No hands? It’s understandable and, sadly, expected nowadays. If you think about it, how many of us do know that information about garments we buy and wear? In this modern age of fast living, fast food and even faster fashion, we can’t be blamed if such minor details pass us by, right? Wrong. As we have learned from the past two years (or, forever), those things considered tiny in out first world society are actually much bigger issues for those on the other side. We’ve all read tragic stories of people being injured or losing lives due to inhumane working conditions in clothing industry. It’s about time we stop shutting our eyes before this snowballing problem and make a change.

I feel like many take clothes for granted. Our approach to clothing is extremely superficial, rated on a scale of how pretty it looks. Do we ever stop to think how that item got into our closets in the first place? Where was it made? Who cut the pattern? Who stitched the pieces together? Who produced the fabric? Who picked the cotton? The behind-the-scenes part of the story is well hidden and rarely spoken of, while designers, brands, shops, runway shows and promotional parties are brought to the forefront. Why? Because we want glamour. We want beautiful things and we don’t care about the rest as long as we can show off our new ‘totes gorg’ bag to our girlfriends and brag about it to our social media audience. No one thinks about fashion above level one. No one cares about the farmers who grow cotton, the pickers, the weavers, the dyers, the pattern-makers, the sewers – even though they are the main reason we are dressed today. A designer may have thought of that beautiful gown, but those “background people” made it come to life.

Something must and can be done. Each of us can take a small step towards raising awareness and educating ourselves. Stop feeding into consumerism. Minimize your needs. Do your research. Look at the labels. Find out more about the brands’ ethics. Re-use, accept hand-me-downs. Buy vintage and second-hand clothes. Think and act. Change your perspective. Become more conscious about the world and the environment you live in. Head over to the Fashion Revolution website and learn ways you can change the fashion world, today.

Also, next time you see a “totally cute and trendy shirt”, do the world a favor and think about whether anyone slaved over it before you head to the register and give your contribution to someone’s death.

The sweatshirt I’m wearing in the photos above is second-hand. Sadly, the labels were cut off before it got into my hands so I cannot tell you who made it

10 THOUGHTS ON "inside out"

Kelly 16.06.2014 - 1:56 PM

Very powerful stuff. This has made me think.

Tanya Minxy 16.06.2014 - 2:40 PM

Odlican post i poenta, mada se ovo sto si napisala ne odnosi samo na modu vec i na vecinu drugih stvari oko nas. Nazalost svet je postao ovakvo mesto kakvo je danas i drago mi je da je bar neko svestan stvari oko sebe. <3

nika 16.06.2014 - 4:29 PM

YESS!! I cannot describe how glad I am whenever I stumble upon someone giving a damn about fashion, above level one, as you put it. You are one of the rare few. Thank you! I think about it more and more and spoke about Fashion Revolution before, here : http://blondie-pants.blogspot.com/2014/04/news-fashion-revolution-day.html

Myra Caballero 16.06.2014 - 4:40 PM

This is a very thought provoking & inspiring post. I have also recently begun researching brands and am trying to shop those with a ‘fashion conscience’ as much as possible. Love your style–minimalist & so chic! It clearly reflects the philosophy you talk about in your post. Thank you for sharing!

True, I’ve got to admit I hardly know anything about where my clothes come from. Shame on me..

Love,

Rowan

Personal Style Blog http://WWW.REDREIDINGHOOD.COM

Danielle 16.06.2014 - 5:48 PM

I wholeheartedly agree, there really is so much more we could do.

Jovana Miljanovic (@JoxyNYC) 18.06.2014 - 10:26 AM

Svidja mi se ovaj post :)

I ja sam se vratila redovnom blogovanju, pa svarti uz kaficu da bacis pogled

Komentari i sugestije su dobrodosli :)

foleybritt 19.06.2014 - 7:52 PM

What a powerful article. The thrifty side of me has always loved buying things secondhand, but this really makes me feel better about it, and it makes me want to do so for different reasons. You are a great writer with great vision–excellent post.

Lifestyle and Photography In and Out of Boston

Raissa | The Leather Fanny Pack 20.06.2014 - 7:07 AM

I just wrote a little about this! I’m making more of an effort to shop local, American made, thrifted, and vintage. I’m even thinking about making my own clothes. I don’t like NOT knowing where exactly my clothes came from.

Renee Hills 18.08.2014 - 11:14 PM

Spot on. Thank you for this article. If you live in Australia check out The Clothing Exchange as a way of swapping clothes or look for clothes swaps.