styling medium length hair06.04.2016
Once upon a time I used to care about my hair. Not in the way of keeping it clean or neat, but in terms of playing around with it, taking actual time to do the do’s. Somewhere between starting uni (read: having to rise at five o’clock in the AM every day) and simplifying different aspect of my life, I just dropped the daily hair routine. It involved a ton of decorative pins, bows, hair bands, sprays and gels – needless to say it was eating away too much of my precious morning sleeping time. Simplifying my make-up looks, decluttering my closet and overhauling my personal style meant the hair styling was soon to follow. During the times of experimentation, I took mental notes of what looked acceptable on my head and what didn’t. I also considered my everyday lifestyle, my taste and possibilities and went from there. What I learned about styling medium length hair is:
1. Just by adding a pop of color to your hair can change up your look entirely. I really took advantage of that over the years – I’ve dyed my hair pink, lavender, gray, bleached blonde while having the exact same mid-length haircut throughout it all. If you’re not up for having ALL of your hair a neon bright color, try few small strands. And if any bright color is an absolute no to you, you can still freshen up your do with some highlights or lowlights in many natural-looking colors. Maybe even a classic brown-blonde ombré. The world is your oyster when it comes to experimenting with hair color! Keep in mind the change doesn’t have to be permanent – make use of the readily-available hair chalks when going bright!
2. My natural hair texture is very thick and curly, but I find that straight hair looks slightly better on me. While my straightener is my best friend, curling iron might be yours. Slick or wavy – the choice is yours but a bit of added, changed and/or emphasized texture never hurt no one!
3. Choosing an interesting hair accessory is very underrated in my opinion. Recently I suggested finding your own Céline-esque hair barrette as a staple piece for spring. Hair pins, scrunchies, hairbands – making use of whatever you have on hand will help you transform your look every single day with little to no effort!
4. Never underestimate the power of a good ponytail or a messy bun. These are classics for a reason and are your secret weapons when styling medium length hair! It doesn’t matter if I’m in a hurry or have days to get ready, a low chignon is my hair weapon of choice, as you may have noticed. So easy, so comfortable and most importantly – endlessly chic. Click and learn how to do a low chignon in under one minute!
5. Sometimes not having a specific hairstyle for a day is the best hairstyle for said day. If all else fails, just let your hair down, let loose and enjoy life.